Friends & Partners of East Timor
As Chairman of the Defence Reserves Support Council – Queensland and a participant of BossLift, Akyra’s Managing Director visited Timor-Leste in 2010. It is a truly beautiful country with a people and culture that are both strong. It was also clear from her observations there is much work for the country to do to ensure East Timor achieves its potential.
The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) details some facts about Timor-Leste – eg:
- Timor-Leste is one of the world's poorest nations
- Life expectancy is 67 years
- 45 per cent of children in Timor-Leste are underweight for their age
- 37 per cent of Timorese live below the international poverty line of USD1.25 a day
- Timor-Leste ranks as 147 out of 187 countries in the UN's Human Development Index
- Timor-Leste is also a post-conflict state that has experienced several bouts of conflict or instability since its independence in 2002
A DFAT goal is to seek to provide quality basic education to 93 per cent of 6–14 year olds and reduce the drop-out rate to five per cent by 2015. Whilst Timor-Leste has had political stability since 2008 and has made great progress since its independence, it is still emerging from fragility and it will still take quite some time to achieve long-lasting development results.
Friends & Partners of East Timor (FPET - based in Brisbane) has established a partnership with Friends & Partners of Australia (FPA - based in Atabae) to enhance the education opportunities for the East Timorese.
Akyra has made a decision to formally support FPET and FPA with a business-community partnership.
If you would like to find out more about and/or support the work of FPET, click on the image below: